10 questions for… Mark Lloyd
His voice has become one of the most familiar on Dubai radio in recent years. Those calming rolled vowels, characteristic of his hometown of Shaw on the outskirts of Manchester in northern England, can be heard on DubaiEye's afternoon travel show, The Ticket, on which you can occasionally hear from the ShortList editor.
Mark Lloyd, who has also developed a reputation for his distinctive bleach-blonde hairstyles, began his career in music and, after a stint on the cruiseships, ended up in Dubai in the late 1980s. And, once he found a home om the radio, he has been here ever since.
1. How long have you been in Dubai… and, in ten words or less, how would you sum up your time here?
It was 30 years thyis past June. It's been a wonderful three-month adventure that I added a nought to!
2. What’s your favourite restaurant… and favourite dish?
I'd say Tong Thai in the JW Marriot Marquis on Sheikh Zayed Road. I love their glass noodle salad.
3. Which takeaway do you have on speed dial?
The Thai takeaway Smiling BKK.
4. Thursday night means…
Chilling out in my garden and feeling glad to be alive.
5. Friday afternoon means…
Probably hitting the malls and checking out the latest fashions...
6. Guests have flown in to see you for a weekend and they’ve never been here before. What three things do you do?
Definitely start by crossing the Creek in an abra, then we'd go to the Ripe Market and wander around the shops of Karama.
7. Where do you go to get a taste of home?
The George & Dragon in the Ambassador Hotel. A proper British pub.
8. What one thing could they introduce to Dubai that would immeasurably improve the quality of your life?
A purpose-built concert arena [which we understand is coming to the World Trade Centre area in the near future - Ed]
9. If you had to spend AED100,000 in a single Dubai shop, which shop would you choose?
Pull and Bear
10. What do you do in Dubai that you never do anywhere else in the world?
Watch camel racing...!
- 1 of 183