17 things that happen when you've lived in Dubai longer than 2 years
1. You are wise enough to prepare for all weathers.
It might be 49 degrees outside, but you take a jumper with you anyway, just in case you go to the mall.
2. You get irrationally annoyed when new people pronounce things wrong.
It’s pronounced BA-RAS-TI.
3. You've learned to speak to taxi drivers using five-star hotel directions instead of Google maps.
“Yes, if you go straight on after Atlantis, then pass Anantara on your right, it's the building just before you reach Rixos.”
4. You have finally, after years of pestering from your friends, switched from pay-and-go to a mobile phone contract.
And you no longer need to fear a phone call cutting off because your credit ran out.
5. You’ve stopped telling people that you’re going to move home relatively soon.
You’ve accepted the reality that you’ll probably be here for quite a while.
6. You’ve bought furniture that you actually quite like.
When you first arrived it was all temporary stuff from Dubizzle…
7. You’ve been up the Burj Khalifa at least four times.
Every single person who visits you wants to go.
8. You’ve almost forgotten how to open doors yourself.
Because they’re all either automatic or manned by a doorman.
9. You no longer convert dirhams to your home country’s currency to work out how much something costs.
Your brain thinks in dirhams now.
10. When the weather forecast says that it will rain you start getting excited.
… then you panic because you have no suitable clothes.
11. You’ve forgotten where you put your jacket.
In fact, do you even have one?
12. You’ve stopped going to brunch every single weekend.
The excitement has died down slightly, and you now realise that there are other things to do.
13. You realise that you don’t even know the name of the street you live on.
“You want my address? Erm… I can tell you my building, and that’s about it.”
14. You’ve started saying things like “yalla”, “Insha’allah” and “shukraan”.
Sometimes you forget that people back home don’t know what they mean.
15. You know the best place to get shawarma.
And you wont have people tell you otherwise.
16. The prospect of going on holiday to a cold country is absolutely fine with you.
Because you get to sunbathe all the time anyway.
17. You don’t know when it happened, but one day you touched down at DXB Airport and it felt like home.
Dubai has got you now.