16 solid pieces of advice for people who are new in Dubai
1. It’s always a good time for shawarma.
Those meat-stuffed wraps are perfect for lunch, a post-brunch snack, a 3am treat… you’d even have one for breakfast.
2. Use Google maps. Your sense of direction is way worse than you thought it was.
“Hold on… how did I get onto this road? Why am I on my way to Sharjah?”
3. Stop converting the price of things back to your home currency.
4. You’re going to put on weight.
Note to self: stop getting so excited by “all you can eat.”
5. Double Apple shisha is the best.
*Other opinions may vary*
6. Going on a “night out” at 12pm is perfectly acceptable.
7. Never bother checking your text messages…
Offers, spam and more offers.
8.… and NEVER open texts from your bank first thing in the morning.
It’s too early to learn how much money you spent the night before.
9. Make sure you have more bottles of water in the house than you think you’ll need.
Sipping boiling water straight from the kettle because you’re ridiculously thirsty isn’t fun.
10. Don’t buy a TV at full price.
Gitex is awesome.
11. Don’t forget to save money for your next rent cheque.
You’re never as rich as you think you are.
12. Try not to pick up too many traffic fines.
Aside from the safety aspect… think of what you could buy with that money at the mall.
13. Accept that “yalla” is going to become part of your vocabulary.
It’s basically a polite way of saying hurry up.
14. Don’t jaywalk.
You’ll get fined.
15. If you think it doesn’t exist, you’ll find it at Dragon Mart.
Chair socks? Yeah they’re a thing.
16. Rockbottoms is (almost) never a good idea.
No matter what your friends tell you at the time.