14 signs that you're an expat who grew up in Dubai
1. You can get angry in several languages...
By several we mean that English, Arabic, Hindi and Urdu are just a few of the languages that you use to express your feelings besides your mother tongue.
2. ...and nobody can pinpoint your accent
"Are you English or American?" ... "Neither."
3. You are not easily impressed
Heard that Shania Twain song? Yeah, take your Ferarri elsewhere.
4. You don't live in Dubai Marina
You know where the cheap rent is... amatures.
5. You don’t understand peoples' fascination with standard firework displays
"Seriously, I'll show you fireworks..."
6. You get claustrophobic on roads that are less than three lanes wide
That's basically just a countryside track.
7. You’re no longer impressed by running into celebrities at the mall
Yeah, the Kardahsians are here all the time.
8. You know the restaurants that have been around the longest...
... and they usually serve some of the cheapest and tastiest food around.
9. When somebody asks you where you're from, your response takes 20 minutes
"I grew up in Dubai but my dad is half German half Dutch and my mum is French. My passport is South African though because that's actually where I was born... do you know what? I'll just draw you my family tree."
10. You'd never ever, ever agree to go to Sharjah during rush hour by choice
The Dubai to Sharjah highway is the real definition of the Mannequin Challenge
11. If you're not two hours late... you're still on time
"Let's meet at 7pm?" 9:30pm it is.
12. Anything before 6pm is too early
Seriously, why do you want to go to for breakfast?
13. You find it entertaining when people who have been in Dubai for three years try to tell you about a cool new plave they've found
14. When people ask things like "Are you going home for Christmas?" you just answer yes...
...because technically you are going home - to your parents house at the other end of Sheikh Zayed Road.