The United Arab Emirates, Particularly Dubai, is world-known for its exotic destinations. From high-class hotels to top restaurants, and expensive stores, UAE is known for its lavish holiday destination. There are tons of man-made wonders in the UAE that will leave you awestruck. One such wonder is Palm Jumeirah, the artificial Palm-shaped island in Dubai.
The unique man-made beauty attracts the riches of the world for its stunning hotels, restaurants, and residential properties located on the sea coast. One of the most attractive places in the tourist Mecca, that you can explore. The Unique island with an experience like no other in the world has luxury hotels, many dining options, lounges, and other attractions to explore. Tourists from across the globe visit Palm Jumeirah for its exotic experience. Let’s find out about Palm Jumeirah in detail to help you.
An Overview Of Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah is an artificial island located in Dubai for residential as well as recreational locations. The island has a unique Palm shape and is the smallest Palm of the three island projects.
Palm Jumeirah is created with land reclamation and is surrounded by a crescent for breakwater structure. The crescents have gaps to allow the flow of water which means it’s an island in between water with a unique shape.
The island has 17 branches of Palm that have luxury villas, hotels, and resorts while the trunk of Palm has retail stores, deluxe apartments, penthouses, and townhouses. Atlantis is the largest hotel built in Palm Jumeirah, more than 10,000 people live in Palm Jumeirah.
Palm Jumeirah is built at approximately 5.5 km and has an area of around 800 football fields. The islands look stunning and give the best view from above. It has been used for many aerial photography projects. The stunning man-made island is a small city in itself.
Interesting Facts About Palm Jumeirah
Here are some interesting facts about Palm Jumeirah:
👉Creation of Millions of rocks and sands: Palm Jumeirah is created with 7 million tons of rock and 120 million cubic meters of sand to stuff from the bottom of the sea to create an island. In fact, the amount of sand Palm Jumeirah has used could have created a 2m wide wall across the globe thrice.
👉Shapes created by satellite: The unique shape of the Palm tree was created using satellites to pinpoint the accuracy of the shape. Private satellite and GPS technology were used. Moreover, Vibro-compaction was a technology used in the land reclamation process.
👉Technically, not an island: The Palm Jumeirah is connected to Dubai via a bridge. It is located on the water, but away from the land. The road connection with the island makes it part of the city.
👉Blackwater protecting the land: The 11 km long blackwater structure was first developed to protect the land. It is used to protect the sand from washing away and has a top layer of rocks.
👉6 years to the project: It took the best engineers 6 years to create Palm Jumeirah as planned. They faced many challenges in the process but managed to complete the process successfully.
👉Visible from space: Palm Jumeirah is the only man-made island on earth that is visible from space.
👉Whooping construction amount: It took a whopping $12 billion to construct Palm Jumeirah.
👉Monorail connecting to the city: Palm Jumeirah has a monorail that connects the island with Dubai.
History Of Palm Jumeirah
The place of hotels and private residences built on artificial islands resembling Palm trees was built in the early 21st century. It was started in 2001 as a part of the Palm islands project. Initially, there was nothing on the Dubai coast, but later project Palm was introduced to build an artificial island that took 6 years to complete.
Palm Island is the smallest part of the project. It faced a lot of challenges during its production such as the availability of material for construction, stability and overtopping of design, land reclamation, the flow of seawater between the Palm shape, etc. However, all these challenges were successfully handled by engineers and now, Palm Jumeirah is running successfully. By the end of the project, 75% of properties were given to families and by 2009, 28 hotels were opened.
The unique shape of Palm Jumeirah
The Palm Jumeirah, an artificial Island of project Palm, has the shape of a Palm tree. Sheikh Mohammed was the first one to sketch the Palm design. It was designed to maximize the value of the beachfront property. The Palm Jumeirah has 17 branches, a central trunk, and a crescent. These branches have properties on both sides spanning approximately a mile of the sea to make the most out of it.
Nakheel, a state-owned company, has developed the plan for a Palm island project that includes three island and multi-islet worlds. All three Palm islands have a similar shape but will vary in size. The shape of the Palm tree in a circle is the uniqueness of the Palm Jumeirah. So, to ensure the accuracy of shape, a private satellite was used.
Where Is Palm Jumeirah Located
Palm Jumeirah is an archipelago of man-made islands located in the Persian Gulf. The island is located in Jumeirah, Dubai at a distance of 24 km from the city, though it’s an island, it is well connected with the city by monorail and bridge. So, tourists can use the metro or bus to visit Palm Jumeirah.
How To Reach Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah is 24 km away from the main city of Dubai, to reach the place you have to use transportation. It would take 30 to 40 minutes to cover the distance from the city center. Tourists can reach Palm Jumeirah in two ways:
- By Monorail or metro: If you want to use the best way to reach Palm island, it’s the monorail. Monorail is a public transport connecting the island city that runs every 15 minutes from 9:00 Am to 9:45 Pm.
- By Bus or cabs: If you are new in Dubai and want to travel privately, you can book a cab to reach Palm Jumeirah from the city center.
Villas And Apartments In Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah is home to many deluxe apartments, stunning villas located on different branches, and the trunk of the Palm.
These villas are available for rent to spend exotic holidays as well as for purchase. Currently, there are 10,000 people living in Palm Jumeirah. It has around 4000 villas that are built within the residential properties with luxurious amenities and amazing views. Palm Jumeirah is the most sought-after location after Burj Khalifa to purchase villas and apartments in Dubai. Many well-known personalities have brought properties to Palm Jumeirah.
Best Time To Visit Palm Jumeirah
January and February are the peak months in Palm Jumeirah when tourists across the globe visit to spend holidays. So, you can expect high prices during these times, and there would be a lot of crowd at this time. The best time to visit Palm Jumeirah is November to April when the weather is good and the place is not much crowded. The time for visitors in Palm Jumeirah is 24 hours and the island is open throughout the day. However, when you are planning to visit Palm Jumeirah, it’s better to book your accommodation and tickets prior to your visit to avoid any hassle.
Tourists can view Palm Jumeirah on tickets. The price of tickets would depend on the category you are using. However, not all places have tickets in Palm Jumeirah. For instance, Jumeirah beach doesn’t cost any ticket while Palm Tower which is one of the major attractions has tickets. It cost around AED 100 to AED 175 to view the Palm tower with different benefits.
Things To See In Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah has a wide range of tourist destinations that you can explore. Here is the list of must-visit places in Palm Jumeirah:
- Visit Atlantis: Atlantis, the five-star hotel is one of the landmarks of Dubai. With exotic restaurants, luxury stay, and exquisite facilities, Atlantis has the best facilities to enjoy your lavish holiday in Palm. The hotel has a range of facilities including water slides, an Aquaventure waterpark, a private beach, entertainment facilities, etc.
- Pro Art Gallery: If you are a fan of art, this place is for you. Home to an amazing collection of sculptures, paintings, photographs, and unique prints from some of the leading artists in the world. You can also purchase some of the best-curated art pieces in the international market.
- The lost chambers aquarium: The lost chambers aquarium is located in the Atlantis hotel where you will need an entrance ticket to visit. The aquarium has 65000 animals including sharks, reef fish, rays, etc. Moreover, there are many water activities like snorkeling, aqua-theater shows, etc that you can explore to make the most out of your trip.
- Aquaventure waterpark: Located in Atlantis, the park has a series of pools, water slides, and water activities like swimming with sharks, feeding stingrays, flying through the compound, etc. You can buy a ticket to visit Aquaventure waterpark.
- The View at the Palm: The view Palm is the major attraction of the island that offers 360° panoramic views of the city. Apart from views, there are many attractions, VIP entertainment places, etc. It has the longest zip line providing a bird’s eye view of the city.
- Beaches: Being an artificial island, Palm Jumeirah has many beaches such as white beach, Jumeirah beach, Al Sufouh beach, and Nasimi beach. These beaches have many water activities like pedaling boats, kayaking, etc. that you can try.
Atlantis The Palm Hotel
Dubai’s landmark and an iconic 5-star hotel with exotic stays for couples and families. The ocean-themed resort Atlantis The Palm Hotel has many places for a complete vacation. Atlantis houses the lost chamber aquarium, Aquaventure waterpark, shopping arena, private beach, helicopter ride, and more to give a complete experience. The luxury hotel located at the highest part of Palm Jumeirah is the first resort to be built on the island. The resort was built as a joint venture and has tons of activities to offer.
From exotic cuisines of the world to exciting water activities, and gorgeous views from rooms. Atlantis is an experience of its own. There are some underwater suites available that are one of the world’s unique places to stay. Aquaventure waterpark has many water sports and water rides to explore while the lost chamber aquarium is home to 65,000 marine animals. It can cost from $300 to $30,000 per night depending on your room.
Visiting Palm Jumeirah? Add these attractions near the island to explore:
- Hub Zero: Hub Zero is an indoor theme park with high-tech facilities and unique games. The theme park has a LAN station for gamers. Apart from that, you can explore virtual games, virtual laser tag, and more. The theme park is open from 2 pm to 10 pm.
- Green Planet: Green planet is another unique theme park built like a rainforest. The park houses 3000 plants and animal species to explore. A perfect destination to go with your kids and family. The 25 ft tall tree is the key attraction of the park.
- Kite Beach: One of the most popular public beaches in Dubai known for Kitesurfing. The beach is known for gym freaks who can stroll, jog, try beach gyms, volleyball nets, and more. The beach entry is free of cost and you can stroll, but you will need a fee to use different recreational activities offered at the beach.
- Burj Al Arab: The snail-shaped hotel is one of the biggest attractions of Jumeirah where you need deep pockets to stay. Even if you cannot stay, there ate many budget-friendly places and activities that you can explore at Burj Al Arab.
- Jumeirah Mosque: One of the most visited and popular mosques in Dubai. It is one of the limited mosques in Dubai that allow non-muslims to visit and experience the culture of Dubai as well as Islamic heritage.
- Unravel adventures in the desert: You can visit sand dunes in Dubai to explore desert adventures such as camel safari, balloon ride, etc.
Things To Buy In Palm Jumeirah
Palm Jumeirah has many shopping destinations including:
- The Pointe
- Nakheel Mall
- The Avenues
- Depachika Food hall
- Tripmate Dubai
- Sand Dollar Dubai swimwear Boutique
These are some of the places where you can shop for some luxury brands of the world and many exotic things. However, whenever you visit Palm Jumeirah shopping arenas, make sure you buy these things:
- Gold and diamond jewellery
- Pashmina Shawls
- Arabian Dates
- Branded clothes and accessories
- Traditional Arab shoes
- Precious stones
- Arabian coffee
- Persian rugs and carpets.
Things You Should Know While Visiting
If you are visiting Palm Jumeirah, here is a list of things that you need to know before your visit:
- If you are visiting Dubai for the first time, make sure you do not miss the attractions at Palm Jumeirah. Include all the major places in your itinerary.
- Make sure you visit Atlantis photoshop and experience your stay at Atlantis even if it’s for one day.
- If you cannot manage a helicopter ride to see Palm Jumeirah’s shape, try a monorail to get a wide view of its unique shape.
- Palm Jumeirah can be hot and has harsh sunlight, so carry your sunscreen everywhere and wear a hat if possible. As there is no or little shade on the island.
- Make sure you buy Palm Island’s Arabian dates and coffee.
Address: Jumeirah, Dubai, UAE
Contact numbers and email addresses will vary according to hotels, restaurants, and real estate companies.
Palm Jumeirah is one of the most stunning destinations in the world. The first man-made island was built with a unique shape and tons of raw materials to provide a luxurious and exotic experience. From high-class food to luxurious villas and apartments, the place reeks of luxury at every step. If you are one of those who love luxury holidays and destinations, this one should be on your list.
Palm Jumeirah has a range of tourist attractions to explore and tons of adventure activities that you can explore. From food to travel as well as accommodation, the man-made island is a city itself and has everything luxurious to offer. Whether you are visiting the place or looking to buy a property here, Palm Jumeirah is one of the most exotic destinations you can explore.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Palm Jumeirah free?
Many destinations like Jumeirah beach are free to visit while many destinations require an entrance fee.
- Is Palm Jumeirah worth visiting?
Yes! It’s the first man-made island with an exotic living experience for people who want to experience the high life.
- Is Atlantis free to visit Palm Jumeirah?
Only a shopping gallery is free to visit, but for the rest of the attractions, you need an entry fee.
- Can you go swimming in Palm Jumeirah?
There are many beaches where you can swim and enjoy water activities.
- Can you stay overnight at Palm Jumeirah?
Yes, Palm Jumeirah has many hotels where you can stay, Atlantis is the best of Plam Jumeirah and Dubai.
Content writer and social science researcher with 5 plus years of experience in research. He has published academic and non-academic articles on several online platforms covering wide-ranging subjects. He is also a tech enthusiast, bibliophile, and an avid fan of video games.