Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is a 73 years old man who has achieved a lot of success in his whole life span till now due to his good heart and the hard work he has put into achieving those things.
He served for eleven years as the Crown Prince of Dubai from January 1995 to January 2006. Furthermore, he was appointed as Minister of Defence and Head of Dubai Police and Public Security in December 1971 and 1st of November 1968 respectively.
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum-his accession as Dubai Ruler
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum was born on the 15th of July in 1949. Currently, he is 73 years old. He was born to Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum and Latifa Bint Hamdan Al Nahyan as their third son.
His father was the former ruler of Dubai and the Vice President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). His family is a ruling royal family and descendants of the House of Al-Falasi from more than 100 to 150 years. His childhood was spent in their house located in Al Shindagha.
Sheikh Mohammed has completed his education at some of the best schools including the Al Ahmedia School, Al Shaab School, Dubai Secondary School, the Bell Educational Trust’s English Language School in the United Kingdom, and the Mons Officer Cadet School in Aldershot. In addition to this, he traveled to Italy to receive pilot training.
Recently, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum completed his 15th year of accession as the Dubai Ruler. His brother, Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, died on January 4, 2006, and he was subsequently crowned Ruler of Dubai and Crown Prince of Dubai. From the day of his appointment, Dubai has seen a lot of development and growth as he has launched several projects and initiatives for the dream future of Dubai.
Sheikh Mohammed’s early years as Dubai’s Ruler
Sheikh Mohammed became the ruler of Dubai for the first time on the 4th of January, 2006. After being appointed as the Ruler, he conducted the first cabinet meeting on February 9 with other ministers. He released his own book named My Vision – Challenges in the Race for Excellence during this period.
Now, some of the major achievements of the Ruler of Dubai include the projects inaugurated to improve the traffic and transport services of Dubai, the launch of the new campaign “Dubai Cares” for educational funding worldwide, the officially launched of Dubai Metro in the year 2009, inaugurated world’s tallest building i.e., Burj Khalifa, and launched one million tree planting campaign in collaboration with the Municipality department of Dubai. During his first five years, he started working strategically with a vision to make Dubai one of the best countries in the World.
Sheikh Mohammed’s second five years as Dubai’s Ruler
During the next five years of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum as the Ruler of Dubai, he doubled his hard work to develop and grow the economy of Dubai to the next level. Some of the major achievements during his second five years are listed below.
- Launch of Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park which was a Dh 12 billion solar project
- Starting a smart learning initiative
- Inaugurating Al Maktoum International Airport at Dubai World Central,
- Launching a program named ‘UAE Water Aid’ to provide clean drinking water for everybody,
- Launched Arab Reading Challenge,
- Launched Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Library.
- Inaugurated the Museum of the Future which was one of the key highlights of the World Government Summit,
- Inaugurated Dubai Water Canal,
- Launched the initiative of Dubai Smart City to make itself the global center of innovation and technology,
- Launched Mars Scientific City which was built only to strengthen the space research area of the UAE
- Launched the first Arab satellite named KhalifaSat into orbit.
- Furthermore, during this tenure, Dubai has placed a bid of around $8.4 billion to host a six-month occasion named Expo 2020 with an additional $6.5 billion for infrastructural arrangements.
Sheikh Mohammed’s third five years as Dubai’s Ruler
After spending 10 years as the Ruler of Dubai, he made drastic changes in the city of Dubai for its growth and development in terms of education, health, financial services, tourism, real-estate sector, and others. So, for the next five years, he planned more with a big futuristic aim to make Dubai a global leader in terms of every field. We have listed some of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s achievements
- Hope Probe mission from Japan to Mars.
- The inauguration of RTA’s intelligent traffic system centers in Al Barsha,
- The launch of the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 with a motive to transform the city into a worldwide clean energy center by rising the portion of clean and renewable energy,
- The Dubai 10X initiative.
Among all these major launches, the most attractive is the Dubai 10X initiative which strives to effect a thorough reform in the government work system by collaborating with other government agencies in Dubai to embrace new models for future administrations. Furthermore, a lot of plans for the future are lined up by him in his official vision statement i.e., “We the UAE 2031.”
Sheikh Mohammed’s vision for the future of Dubai
The vision of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum has helped a lot to transform Dubai, which was once known as a barren land to transform it into one of the best or the leading dream cities of the future.
United Arab Emirates Prime Minister and Dubai Ruler Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum under the leadership of President Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan in the annual government meeting launched the vision for the future of Dubai named as “We the UAE 2031.” This vision basically outlines the details of the goals and strategies set by the UAE’s government for the next decade.
The major areas for improvement covered in the vision i.e., “We the UAE 2031” include topics like Cop28, Emiratisation, the future of education, legislative updates, digital future for all, and economic relationships. This similarly emphasizes the points made in the preceding vision, it also places more emphasis on the nation’s infrastructure and sustainability sectors. Furthermore, the vision sought to position the country as the safest place in the world, while simultaneously ensuring a society that is proud of its identity and sense of belonging.
Specifically, the vision named “We the UAE 2031” focuses on –
- To increase Dubai’s GDP from AED 1.49 trillion to AED 3 trillion.
- To double the number of tourists or visitors to over 40 million in the next ten years in order to raise revenue up to AED 450 billion, which will be contributed to the city’s GDP.
- The National Tourism Strategy was announced a few months ago in order to attract AED 100 billion in the tourism sector.
- To invest AED 300 billion in the industrial sector.
- Non-oil exports are expected to produce up to AED 800 billion in revenue over the next decade.
- To be among the list of the World’s Top 10 countries in the Scientific Innovation Index
- To seek international talent and encourage them.
- To become one of the Top 10 nations in terms of Hydrogen Energy Production Nation by using the strategy of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 18%.
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum has completed his 15 years of accession as the Dubai Ruler recently. He has completed these years beautifully with lots of hard work and a long record of achievements. He celebrated the completion of his 15th accession and said that he learned that the key to success lies in empowering and respecting human life and dignity without prejudice and discrimination.
Furthermore, he appreciated Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed and Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed for being the greatest friend, leaders, and companion throughout his journey as the Ruler of Dubai. He said without their wisdom, vision, and unlimited support, it wouldn’t be possible for him to make Dubai one of the best and most successful countries in the world.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is known as the Vice-President, Prime Minister, his Highness, and the Ruler of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum was married a number of times and had also been divorced a number of times. The Ruler of Dubai had six wives. The name of his wives is Sheikha Hind Bint Maktoum Bin Juma Al Maktoum, Mrs. Zoe Grigorakos, Sheikha Houria Ahmed Lamara, Sheikha Delila Aloula, Sheikha Randa Bint Mohammed Al-Banna, and Princess Haya Bint Hussein. Each of the ruler’s wives lived in a separate house with him and were never forced to be with each other. They had their own house in which they lived with their children and a luxurious lifestyle. He has a total of 25 children from his wives.
Ans. Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum has received a lot of honors in his life span of 73 years till now. Names of some of the honors are:
1) On 12 November 2021, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum was awarded “Collar of the Order of the Southern Cross” by Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro.
2) The United Kingdom’s Queen Elizabeth II awarded the Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George on 25 November 2010.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum loves to be active throughout the day for which he enjoys spending time playing a sport. So, his favorite sport is Padel which he regularly plays at his own Nad Al Sheba Sports Complex.
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum has launched several foundations and awards that aim to uplift the lives of people by providing them with the necessary facilities and to boost creativity and excellence among people in different fields respectively.
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid established honors such as the Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Patrons of the Arts Award, the Arab Social Media Award, and the Arab Journalism Award, etc.
Some of the foundations launched include:
Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Humanitarian and Charity Est., Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Initiatives, and other foundations for conducting general philanthropic activities.
Noor Dubai, UAE Water Aid, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Sports, and Fitness Programme, and some others for health purposes.
Dubai Cares, Mohammed Bin Rashid School of Government, and a few more foundations for providing quality education facilities for all the residents of Dubai.